Saturday, September 5, 2020

when your teacher writes an essay

This past week I assigned an essay. I also told everyone in our Zoom meetings that I would do the work along with you.  Below is my attempt (essay).  I'd be grateful if you'd take a few moments to read it and comment to this post with any reactions. What do you think was effective about it?  What do you think was confusing or could/should be improved? (My wife thought I should end it a few paragraphs earlier, with the line that says, "A united place.") Was my main idea clear? Did I answer the prompt? Feel free to give it a grade, if you want to! Thanks in advance for your feedback. I look forward to reading your essays and returning the favor. 😀




THE PROMPT:

How can arguing and giving up any "right" to our own opinion save our lives, improve our country, and secure the future for the next generation?

__________________

THE PRE-WRITE:

Points I don’t want to forget:
·      Argument is a search for truth
·      Arguing can bring people together
·      Asserting rights to opinions hijacks the conversation and forces people to agree/ bad
·      Listening and collaborating leads to all sorts of good outcomes

Structure:
·      Attention-getter
·      Main point/ thesis statement
·      Lead into 3 big ideas for body paragraphs
·      Remember transitions and flow
·      Summarize and conclude with a #winner thought or question

_________________

THE DRAFT

When I was in junior high and high school, it seemed to me that people did really stupid things. Even worse, they acted like the stupid things they did were actually perfectly normal. They defended their actions and apparently believed that they were right. I thought they were nuts. That’s one reason I loved watching Monty Python’s Flying Circus. The show took real life situations and exaggerated them into absurd comic sketches. When I thought about the big things I couldn’t change, like politics, or the economy, or even school, it helped me to watch the show and have a good laugh.
One of my favorite sketches in the show was called “The Argument Clinic.” A man walks into a business office and pays to argue with a professional. But when they begin, the conversation disintegrates. They just say “Yes it is/ Not it’s not” at each other. The customer gets frustrated and says, “An argument is an intellectual process, not just contradiction.”
The professional arguer replies: “No it isn’t.”
I don’t know how we got to this point in American culture where people think argument is some sort of game or conflict, but looking at it that way isn’t helping us. In fact, if we’re afraid of losing, or if we’re afraid that someone will get mad at us or even hurt us if we argue with them, we lose the value of sharing ideas in the first place.
According to Jamie Whyte, author of Crimes of Logic, argument is a search for truth. I’ve thought about this for a while now, and the definition fits; if two people argue with each other, it stands to reason that they care about the same things. They care about the topic they are discussing. They care about being heard and understood. They also care about being right. Since it is impossible to be right without being on the right side of the truth, it’s reasonable to assume they’re both searching for the truth.
But sometimes the way we talk to each other when we argue doesn’t support our search for truth. When people get angry or frustrated or just plain tired, they sometimes raise their voices, or say things like, “Fine. You’re entitled to your opinion.”
Why do people say that a person is entitled to an opinion? Opinions are important, and we feel like they’re personal, so we want to be allowed to have them. That’s all good and fine, but saying we are entitled is something altogether different.
An entitlement (also known as a right) is something that other people have to honor. If I am entitled to cross the street in a crosswalk, you are obligated to stop your car and not run me over. Think about that for a moment. I have a right to my safety, and you are required to honor my right, even if you disagree with it.
So, what if I’m wrong? What if I tell you that the sky is green, and I’m entitled to my opinion? We live in a crazy world where all sorts of people babble all sorts of bullsh** and expect us to go along with it.  But that actually sabotages the search for truth.
I have come to believe that arguing – i.e., searching for the truth – and completely abandoning the “right” to my opinion gives me the opportunity to discover the information that helps me the most. When I engage with other people, and really listen to them, I learn where my evidence is strong and also where new information can lead me to a better way of thinking. This makes my own life better, it enables me to create and sustain relationships with others even when we disagree, and it gives me hope for the future.
When I was dating the woman who would eventually become my wife, we went shopping for groceries and she asked me to pick up some cheddar cheese. I chose a brick of Tillamook, and she laughed at me. “No, seriously,” she said, “can you get some natural stuff?” I was totally confused. “What do you mean?” I asked. She said, “Get some cheese without artificial coloring. What kind of cow gives orange milk?” 
It turns out there’s some history to the color of cheese, but since the 17th century the answer is: None. The orange in cheddar cheese is artificial coloring. And the weird thing is, my whole life I never even thought to question why the cheese was orange. Moments like this make me realize that argument – searching for the truth with other people in ways that might just change my mind – make my life better.
Besides giving me a better way to think about cheese, that moment in the market also gave my wife and me a memory we’ll never forget. Standing there in the cheese aisle, shocked by the realization that I never even noticed how weird it was that milk is white but cheese was orange, I laughed my ass off. Years later, it still cracks me up when I think about it. I suppose I could have been embarrassed because I clearly didn't know what I was doing, but the important thing was someone I care about challenged my thinking and gave me a better way to see the world.
When we argue with people we have an opportunity to create and strengthen relationships. Listening to someone is an act of generosity, and we feel good about people when they are generous to us. Arguing in this way, even when – especially when – we disagree can help us get along with all sorts of people. And getting along with all sorts of people has never been more important.
Every day we hear about what divides us: politics, religion, economics, health, and people who want a government who helps the country versus people who are full of crap. But what we don’t hear so much about is how people of different backgrounds get together and work things out and create schools, neighborhoods, communities, and organizations that lift people up. Creating a sense of belonging starts with argument as a search for truth – and when people get together and decide that getting along is more important than agreeing, we all become stronger. (Maybe because we're not eating weird stuff in our cheese.)
 There are more than three hundred million people in the United States of America. I’d like to think that all of us can start figuring things out, one argument at a time.
Hall of Fame hockey star Wayne Gretzky put it this way: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” If you don’t play, you can’t win, and if you don’t talk to people about where you disagree, you can’t connect and figure things out.
When we reach out to each other and communicate, we create opportunities for understanding. Understanding leads to bonds that create relationships – this is the secret sauce for community and shared purpose. The motto of the United States is E Pluribus Unum, which means, “Out of many, one.” When we argue, when we search for the truth together. We share a purpose and we become a people. We make our country a better place. A united place.
When Americans unite, great things become possible. I visited Boston a few years ago, and I saw the results: the first public school, the first public park, the first public library, the first public … everything. Together we can do things that no individual can. We can build highways. We can create a nation that supports the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness.
Most importantly, we can make tomorrow better than today. When millions of us agree to prioritize the future, we can tackle issues like climate change, social justice, and economic inequality. We can decide whether safety should merit gun control policy. We can decide whether the term “pro-life” should apply exclusively to abortion, or also to the death penalty, and what happens in between birth and execution.
The key to all of this is argument: the search for truth. It’s high time we talk to each other, instead of about each other. I see you. I care about you. I want to listen to you. I want you to teach me. And then, when you feel we have a connection with each other based on mutual respect, I want to make the world a better place. Together.

31 comments:

  1. I give you an A+ because you wrote a very explicit essay, and it is very true that when Americans unite in peace we can do big things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a great essay and I agree that we should hear each other out as an act of generosity. I also think that if we all unite as one we could achieve/accomplish great things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A+ this was a great essay it made me want to get up mid-read and argue with someone to make this world that slightly better.I agree with you on the fact that together we can change the world for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would give this essay an A+ because though it is quite long it keeps the reader engaged with what you're trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a good essay. It was long but I never lost my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best essays i have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the essay. I could read it without getting confused or lost and was explained clearly. I also agree with the fact that people shouldn't treat arguing like a game or conflict and shouldn't yell or get angry when arguing. And that this would in term make people achieve great things. It was a long essay, but it was very interesting and does capture a person into reading it and would give it an A+.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the essay because not only did you cite stuff to account for a reason, you also added in your own experiences to further back up your claim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this essay and most importantly I agree with it. Instead of arguing and trying to win a conflict we shout try to solve it together to move forward together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the essay was great overall. I do agree that instead of us going against each other, we should all just take the time to listen to each others opinions and hopefully make a positive change in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great essay, though its long, I never got lost when reading, and I agree that people should take arguing mature and shouldn't take it as a game or as if a person was inflicting a conflict. I would give this essay a A+.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bit long but I really loved reading it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your essay has many great points, and I agree with everything you said. It was definitely mind opening. It might have seemed like you went a bit off topic at times but even the little details you included tied in and proved the bigger point. This essay was very drawing. I appreciated the points and personal examples you included. I think the topic of your essay was really important and should be talked about more. I haven't ever seen this point of view on arguing and I think its very important. Overall, great essay, easy to read, not boring, great points.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I give your essay an A+ because even though it's pretty long, it does keep the reader engaged and i think that's what should happen when someone reads your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great essay i enjoyed reading it kept me engaged although it was a long essay. I give it an A+

    ReplyDelete
  16. I give it an A+ because it was interesting and I like how you included things on how if we unite or work together we could make things peaceful and great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good essay, gets the readers attention to keep reading, and gives good information in each paragraph with evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I put this essay into text to speech since it takes me a while to read a lot be even through that robotic voice this essay was well written and provided lots of evidence and reasoning plus examples that kept to listener or reader hooked. All and all I would give this a A.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this a really well written essay and I think that you mad e some really good points in your essay and I hope that my writing can look like this one day

    ReplyDelete
  20. too long (kidding obviously) but I really enjoyed it. You get a A+.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This essay really caught my eye I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. The part I got most inspired by was when I read "what we don’t hear so much about is how people of different backgrounds get together and work things out and create schools, neighborhoods, communities, and organizations that lift people up". I give this essay an A+ keep up the good work Dr.Preston.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fact that teachers still do essay really gets me thinking that maybe learning how to write an essay isn't a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. But great essay it looks like you spent time and dedication on this essay and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that it was great essay, I don't think I would even have the patience to write this much. I agree with most things you said but not all. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like this essay. I read everything and its really good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think is a good essay because it has all that I learned that has to have a essay and this essay is very specific.

    ReplyDelete

for the win(ter break)

" Why should I do this? He's not even gonna be our teacher next year! " Yeah. And I'm not getting paid to post this on Chr...