Monday, September 21, 2020

Welcome to Week 6!

Hi All,

I hope you had a good weekend. I spent mine buried under student blogs, progress report data, and California Department of Education policy.

I learned a lot! 

As a result, here are some ways we will improve. 

First, don't panic when you see the Google Sheet for your period. I have literally wiped the slate clean. It's a new progress reporting period, and the first assignment you see is the first assignment for this week. I will be doing this every week. If you complete the work after the week in which it is assigned, it is late. That doesn't mean it's worthless - I'll still want you to do it - but this will help guide your planning and scheduling. Too many people let themselves get too far behind during the first month. Some of you still need to send me your blog URLs.

Second, I will begin using AERIES Gradebook this week by entering all of your grades for the week on Fridays at 3:30 (which means that's when you'll need to have it done and posted on your blog). I'm doing this because of California Department of Education policy and the way our school district needs to account for the work that we are doing.  As far as your work and mine regarding how you get feedback on what you learn, everything will stay the same. In fact, next week (Week 7) we will have an essay assignment in which I will give you a choice about how you want to receive feedback on your writing.

Third, I have posted this week's Work Product at the beginning of the week, so that you know what's in store. That way, as you check the blog each day, you can make sure that you're getting the work done by the end of the week, even if your class doesn't meet until Thursday or Friday. 

Now that we've gotten the housekeeping out of the way, let's dig in to the fun stuff and read/think/write! Please remember to check the blog each day, write in your journals, post to your blog, and -- as always -- email or schedule a meeting with me if you have any questions or need any help.

See you on Zoom,
Dr. Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment

for the win(ter break)

" Why should I do this? He's not even gonna be our teacher next year! " Yeah. And I'm not getting paid to post this on Chr...