Monday, August 24, 2020

attendance, presence, & GTD

Several students have emailed this morning to ask if we are having class on Zoom today. (All the Zoom info is now here.)

To answer that in a way that makes any kind of sense, it's important to remind ourselves what we're doing all this for in the first place.

Every student who has written me or talked with me so far has indicated that they want to learn new ideas and improve their writing, reading, and speaking skills.

To do that, we need to start GTD (Getting Things Done - this is the title of a great book on the subject and also nicer than the traditional GSD, which I probably shouldn't spell out on a family-style blog :)

I believe very strongly in supporting you as you get started. So, if you haven't created your course blog, or gotten a notebook and started your journal, or started typing "did it" as you complete tasks on your period's Google Sheet, you need to meet with me today during our scheduled time so that I can help you.

If you HAVE created your blog, started your journal, and typed "did it" for at least a few of the tasks on the sheet, and you feel pretty confident that you're off to a good start, today's online meeting is optional.

The word attendance goes back to the 14th century (!) and means, "the act of attending to one's duties." The word attend goes back to the same time and means, "to direct one's mind and energies."

I have no interest in demanding that you sit still on a Zoom meeting while others catch up, any more than I would demand you sit in a classroom while others catch up. I want you to work in a way that prepares you for success, and if you're off to a good start, I want you to continue.

Bottom Line: This is Week 2. If you have questions or need help getting started, please plan on being online during your class period. If you are GTD, I'll see you later in the week. You're always welcome to email or schedule a meeting if you think of something later.

24 comments:

  1. I will make sure to finish all my work for this week, and be present on each zoom meeting. (GTD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try my best to complete all my work whenever I can and attend to every zoom meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will work to my limit on completing tasks and not falling back as well as attending zoom classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will do all my work and be present on the zoom meetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will do all my work and also be present on Zoom meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for telling us. Ill make sure to do my best and get things done to the best of my abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will finish the work that must be done so I am not left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for helping me catch up and get on track with the others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will try my best to keep up maybe ill get things a little late but ill do them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will finish all my work and nothing will stop me. I'll even stay up till 3 am to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So far, I have done all my work. i might turn things a few minutes/ hours late, but i'll turn them in nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This seems fair. I'll make sure to stay on top of my work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am prepared to try my hardest to catch up on any missing work and stay on top of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will make sure to finsih all my work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will do all my work and catch up on any late work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will try to do my work this week and not procrastinate

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will put my grade for this year into consideration while I do my assignments. I know I am capable of getting a really good grade so In that case I am very excited to be in this class and I am ready to start working hard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will try to do all my work because a lot of my homework are incomplete

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know I'm late lol but I will try finishing all my work.

    ReplyDelete

for the win(ter break)

" Why should I do this? He's not even gonna be our teacher next year! " Yeah. And I'm not getting paid to post this on Chr...